Who we are:
The Bremen Overseas Research & Development Association (BORDA e.V.) is an expert-NGO specializing in sanitation. For 40 years now, our award-winning solutions empower people and set new standards in 25+ countries.
What we do:
BORDA provides game-changing sanitation solution worldwide:
1. Knowledge Transfer (Scientific Collaborations, Local Trainings, Int’l Forums)
2. Sanitation Solutions & Management (FSM Value Chain, DEWATS Upscaling, City Sanitation Planning, Watershed Management, Water scarce Environments, Emergency Sanitation)
3. Partnerships (City-Sanitation Alliance, Public-Private Partn., Sanitation Entrepreneurship, BORDA Ltd.)
How we do it:
1. Close to People – “From Mason to Minister” We are close to the world, its people and realities. We link both ends; globally & locally.
2. “Tested in Reality” We only offer what we have successfully tested before. We only “walk the talk” and get the job done on the ground. We set international standards and benchmarks.
3. Adapting & Innovating We are a dynamic, evolving organization. We transcend disciplines, genders, generations & nationalities.
4. “A trusted Advisor” We have no vested interests and focus on what matters.
Empowered people who make their communities more liveable
Increased liveability, Lasting structural change, Empowered players.
BORDA e.V. is looking for a:
“Regional Director Africa (m/f)” based in our regional Office in Dar es Salaam (Tanzania).
The Africa programme’s core activities are mainly financed by the BMZ. It is entering a new phase beginning from 2019 until 2021. The Regional Director is responsible for all ongoing activities in Tanzania, Zambia, Lesotho, South Africa and for developing additional activities in other African countries.
The Director will also be a member of BORDA’s Global Directorate, which is working as a dedicated team responsible for the development of cross-regional strategies and collaboration within BORDA.
- Overall lead of teams and responsibility for developing and implementing the strategy of our Africa programme, especially in Eastern Africa.
- Liaise/network with high-level stakeholders on national and international level.
- Actively acquire additional project funds from national and international donors and other sources
- Develop and strengthen the regional network organisational structure and support our partners to grow to their fullest potential.
- Develop internal capacities and provide inspirational guidance to the national teams.
- Develop BORDA’s Africa strategy in close cooperation with Headquarters and ensure its sustainable implementation.
- Ensure the administration of and compliance with the different donor financed projects (BMZ, GIZ, DFID, World Bank, UNDP, BMGF etc.) according to all relevant internal, external, local and international regulations.
- Supervise all employees within the Africa project teams.
- Report to Headquarters on a quarterly basis.
- Additional tasks as required.
Project related Activities
- Ensure implementation of project activities for DEWATS (Decentralised Wastewater Treatment Systems), decentralised solid waste management, CSP (City Sanitation Planning), and liveable cities projects according to set goals in terms of quality, time, and budget.
- Develop and promote the regional BORDA training centre to provide capacity development to partner organisations, governmental stakeholders, and private sector actors in the sanitation sector.
- Maintain and improve the internal Quality Management Systems (QMS) in close co-operation with BORDA HQ.
- Actively support the global BORDA Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Programme and Research and Development (R&D) activities in the region.
- Strengthening partnerships within the WASH sector, ensuring access to sustained high quality WASH services for all.
- Master’s degree and professional qualification in a relevant subject (international development studies, project management, social sciences), preferably with reference to the Water and Sanitation sector.
- Minimum 5 years of international experience, preferably in Africa.
- Strong expertise in relevant development sectors, particularly in and around Sustainable Development Goal 6.
- Proven track-record in project management and administration of similar projects / programmes.
- Leadership experience with a strong “hands-on” attitude: getting things moving and delivering results, while also building internal capacity.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills: able to create, maintain and expand relationships with local, national and international stakeholders and decision-makers at multiple levels.
- High degree of flexibility and adaptability to sometimes challenging environments.
- Team-player, motivator and high social leadership competencies: able to inspire action within the team and foster a positive and dynamic workplace environment.
- Knowledge of ERP systems, especially Microsoft Dynamics NAV an asset.
- Business fluency in English – French, German, and other relevant languages would be an additional asset.
Innovative and high creative freedom, international and familiar, with strong values and roots: Working at BORDA is something very special
How to Apply
Send your CV (in English) and a motivation letter (one page) which summarises how your experience and profile align with the essential requirements for this position. References from previous assignments are an asset. Please send your documents in .docx or .pdf format. Applications must be addressed to Jane Junkert (email@example.com) with the email subject stating “Regional Director Africa”/[+your surname in the subject line].